Russian is one of the world’s most widely spoken languages with approximately 267 million speakers. It is the most common native language in Europe.
UCF offers beginning, intermediate and advanced courses in Russian Language and Culture.
Why Study Russian?
- Russian is one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
- The U.S. Department of State has designated Russian as a critical language. There is high demand for speakers for diplomacy and business, but little supply. A federal initiative has been created to expand the number of Americans studying and mastering foreign languages that are important to national security, prosperity and positive engagement with the world.
- Russia is a new market with tremendous opportunities for business.
- Russian is the native language of great authors including Fyodor Dostoevsky and Leo Tolstoy and composers like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. Learning Russian increases your opportunities to travel comfortably and to study abroad.
Associate Professor Alla Kourova leads a variety of activities to enhance students’ knowledge of Russian language and culture:
Russian Tea Hour: Monthly meeting for students hosted by the Russian Club student organization.
Russian Culture NIght: Semesterly event for faculty and staff. Check for upcoming dates on the FCTL Calendar.
Connecting Classrooms: Ongoing International Project between UCF students and Russian students through monthly Skype conferences.
Russian Club: Student group meets weekly in the UCF Student Union. Check the club’s website and Facebook page for schedule and updates.
Study Abroad: Each summer, UCF students travel to Moscow and St. Petersburg for an intensive Russian language and culture experience.
Building Bridges with Language and Culture in Russia: Funded by the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program, a prestigious award from the U.S. Department of Education, this program focuses on Russian language, culture, history, politics, and Russia’s global impact.
- STARTALK – Intensive Russian Program
- Russian Studies Minor
- Russian as a Critical Language Certificate
- Study Abroad
» View available courses (search RUS/RUT prefix)