Both tracks of the MA program require a year’s worth of study of a foreign language at the college level. Anyone with a Bachelor of Arts degree from a Florida SUS institution should already have met this requirement. It is an exit rather than an entrance requirement, meaning that the courses may be taken while a graduate student. The classes do not need to be taken at UCF.

Students who lack the classes but have a demonstrable bilingual ability may have the requirement waived. A high school diploma or an undergraduate degree from a school in which English is not the language of instruction is a good example of demonstrating bilingualism. Alternately, a student may also take a CLEP test in order to establish ability at the first-year college level.

The UCF language program does not accept college credit in ASL or other sign languages in fulfillment of this requirement.