Please Note: We do not require the GRE.


What if all of my application materials are not in by the deadline?

The MA program has three deadlines (see here). All of your application materials should be received by these deadlines; however, as some application requirements are not directly controlled by the applicant (such as the letters of recommendation, final transcripts, or GRE scores), it is entirely possible that parts of the application will not be turned in by the deadline. Should this happen, email the department’s graduate admissions specialist ([email protected]) to discuss steps on how to move forward with your application. It is a good idea to email the graduate admissions specialist to let them know you have completed your online application.

If you suspect that your official GRE scores will not get to us in time, make a note of your unofficial Quantitative and Verbal scores when you take the exam. Send us these scores and we will use them to begin processing your application. We will still need the official results, but this way we will not have to wait for them to get started.

Can I take classes that would transfer into the MA program before I apply to it?

Yes. First you need to apply to the UCF Graduate School for non-degree-seeking student status. This is the same application as for a degree program, but it requires much less documentation. Once you are a non-degree-seeking student, you may register for classes on a space-available basis with the permission of the instructor. This means that you will have to contact the instructor of the class and explain that you are planning to apply to the program and transfer this class if and when you are admitted. The instructor may ask for additional information, including a writing sample. However, permission does not guarantee you a seat in the class: you will be allowed in only after degree-seeking students have had ample time to register.

Transfer credit is limited to nine credit hours, so you will not want to take more than three classes as a non-degree-seeking student.

I am applying to your program from another graduate program. Will my credits transfer into your program?

We can accept up to nine (9) credit hours of work from outside of our program. Whether or not we do accept those credit hours depends on what institution the credits are coming from, what classes they are, and what classes they would be replacing in our program. We do not make final decisions about transfer credit until after a student has been admitted to the program.

How long does it take to complete your program?

It is a two-year degree for full-time students, and part-time students can complete it in two and a half to three years.

Can I be a part-time student? Do I have to declare that beforehand?

You can be a part-time student. While we do ask you to state what status you intend on being when you apply to the program, the number of credits you take per semester is entirely up to you. All of our classes are three credit hours each, and a nine credit hour semester is considered full-time. A student taking six credit hours or three credit hours per semester is considered part-time. All students on assistantship must maintain full-time status.