The James and Brooke Harhi Endowed Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Arts and Humanities who are the first in their family to attend college. One student will be awarded up to $500 per term. Scholarship will be awarded during the academic year following the semester of application. The award may be used on courses, books, and/or other educational expenses.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student with a declared major in the UCF College of Arts and Humanities.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Applicant must demonstrate a financial need based on a current FAFSA form on file with the UCF Office of Student Financial Assistance
- Applicant must be the first in his or her immediate family to attend college.
- Graduate and undergraduate applicants will be evaluated separately based on criteria considered “excellent” by the scholarship committee..
- For undergraduate applicants, the committee looks for evidence of excellence in:
- Academics (GPA, honor societies, HIM, undergraduate research).
- Demonstrated service to the community and/or campus or community leadership.
- Written communication (as evidenced by the letter of intent).
- For graduate applicants, the committee looks for evidence of excellence in:
- Academic rigor (GPA).
- Demonstrated engagement with the professional and/or scholarly community (i.e., conferences, publications, exhibitions, research, performance or service to the profession).
- Written communication (as evidenced by the letter of intent.
- A well-supported and clearly organized letter of intent between 750-1000 words. In the letter, talk about being a first generation college student, and connect your objectives and professional goals to your education in the College of Art and Humanities. Describe any experience you have had in the field (volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities) and explain how you believe your experiences, in both the classroom and the field, will help you achieve your goals. Please proof read and edit your letter carefully.
- A current résumé of no more than three pages.
- An unofficial degree audit.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- One letter must be from a CAH faculty member.
- Letters of recommendation should address the applicant’s character and work ethic.
- You will be able to attach them with the application.
Important: Winners will be asked to produce hard copies with original signatures.
- Winner(s) may have a photo published on the website and will be asked to write a thank you letter to the scholarship donor.
Students can apply for this scholarship using myUCF.
- Log on to myUCF
- Navigate to: Student Self Service > Scholarship Application > Add a New Application
- On the subsequent page, you will see a list of scholarships for which you may be eligible. Choose the link for “Harhi Endowed Scholarship for First-Generation CAH Students.”
For more information about the myUCF application process, download the Scholarship Application eForm Student Reference guide.
Deadline: Friday, March 31, 2023, 11:59 PM
Awards and scholarships are considered a resource and must be included as a part of a student’s financial aid cost of attendance. If a scholarship exceeds your financial cost of attendance, a reduction to your financial aid may occur.
Awards only apply to credits taken at UCF College of Arts and Humanities.